Stepping Stones to Learning, LLC has been an integral part of the San Gabriel Valley community for 45 years. Our tutors are academic mentors who not only focus on teaching the subject material, but on coaching students so that they are better able to navigate their scholastic environment. Each student receives 100% of a specially-matched tutor’s attention, which helps tutors determine individual learning styles. At Stepping Stones the goal of each tutor is to build confidence, instill a love of learning and teach students to become independent learners. Ensuring that students have the tools necessary to be successful throughout their academic career is our aspiration.
Stepping Stones never takes a cookie-cutter approach with our clients and strongly believes that every student deserves one-to-one attention and an understanding of their unique learning styles and goals.
- Always one tutor to one student
- We offer the ultimate in flexibility by working around your schedule and by constantly adjusting the program to meet our students’ changing needs
- No intense intake assessments and no cookie-cutter curriculum. Every student is different and we develop the best program for each individual learner
- Specialized academic tutoring for students with learning differences including attention deficit disorders, autism, Asperger’s syndrome, dyslexia, and processing disorders in partnership with our sister company Integrated Learning Solutions (ILS)
- Individualized ten-week SAT program including two full-length diagnostic tests, a mini mid-course diagnostic, and practice tests before each of 20 one-to-one sessions
- One-to-one independent entrance exam test prep for the HSPT/ISEE/SSAT. Includes personal consultation to help you narrow down school choices and navigate the application process.
- Students are matched with tutors that fit their learning style, personality, and academic needs
- All tutoring is supervised in our secure and inviting learning center
We are thrilled to be celebrating over 45 years of service to the San Gabriel Valley from our red brick building on Huntington Drive. Stepping Stones was founded by Beth Rettig, and later joined by Merrily Dunlap and Hilary Dorsey. In the summer of 2010 Stepping Stones shared some exciting news as the leadership of Stepping Stones transitioned to “The Hasbun Family…”
Carole Hasbun, Co-Owner and Education Director, obtained her Master of Arts in Education in 2003 and holds both a California Life Teaching Credential and CLAD certification. She has been a well-respected educator for over thirty years and served as a kindergarten teacher at K.L. Carver Elementary School in San Marino for 12 years. Carole is an active member of the community, having volunteered in many capacities for the San Marino schools and other community organizations. Carole has been recognized for her outstanding volunteer service to the San Marino Unified School District as the recipient of the PTA Founder’s Day Award, Valentine Heart of Gold, Huntington Halo, and Terrific Titan Award.
George E. Hasbun, Co-Owner and Finance Director at Stepping Stones is a former Stepping Stones student himself. He graduated from the San Marino public school system and went on to the University of California, Berkeley where he earned a Bachelor of Science in Environmental Economics and a minor in Classics. George is a financial analyst at a Pasadena wealth management firm. George oversees finance and accounting at Stepping Stones and is thrilled to have a part in continuing the excellent program at Stepping Stones that benefited him as a student.
Anna K. Hasbun, Co-Owner and Operations Director at Stepping Stones, oversees outreach, special programs and general operations at Stepping Stones. She holds a bachelor’s degree in business administration with a minor in marketing from California State University, Northridge. Anna’s professional background is in fundraising development, most recently as Regional Director at Autism Speaks, a national non-profit organization raising funds for research, programs, and awareness for children with autism. The intimate time Anna has spent with families struggling with autism has provided a strong understanding of the endless potential of every child. She shares a passion for our children’s education and is excited about the unique capabilities Stepping Stones has to unlock the possibilities inside of every student.