Stepping Stones o ers a carefully designed program to assist students who are applying for independent school entrance. Students who wish to successfully prepare for taking one or more of several tests (HSPT, ISEE, SSAT, etc.) as part of the admissions process, can often benefit from focused time spent preparing for the testing experience. This program is offered to students in the 6th, 7th or 8th grade, in the summer or fall of the 2016- 2017 school year. Our individually tailored program (Parts A and B) has several goals which include the following:
- To provide an opportunity to experience a practice test under simulated testing conditions
- To provide a supportive, non-stressful structure in which students can review and become familiar with the concepts and types of questions they will encounter during testing
- To give students the opportunity for appropriate practice, through the assignment of homework and practice testing
- To teach students various test-taking strategies
- To reduce the anxiety that often accompanies this experience, by helping students to build self-confidence and familiarity with the admissions process and the testing experience
- To effectively review concepts previously taught in school or introduce new concepts which generally appear on the tests
- To help students think about and plan for the interviewing experience, if they are applying to schools which include an interview as part of the admission process
Our comprehensive program includes:
- An initial intake (by telephone or in-person)
- Administration, scoring and analysis of a practice diagnostic test (ISEE, HSPT, SSAT or other)
- Consultation appointment with Carole Hasbun, Director of Education. During this 30-minute appointment with the student and his/her parent(s) the results of the practice test are reviewed and discussed and appropriate recommendations are made regarding suggested preparation, school considerations, finding a good match, tutoring or working on own, etc.
- The option of taking a second practice test (ISEE, HSPT, SSAT or other) closer to the time of the actual test date, with feedback on results
- Materials and suggestions which will help simplify and organize the application process
- A test preparation book is given to each student
- One session with the test prep tutor to review the diagnostic test
- Should tutoring be suggested, priority scheduling will be given at Stepping Stones with a fully trained test prep tutor. A suggested minimum of ten sessions of individual tutoring is recommended to adequately cover test preparation curriculum. Homework is assigned after each session.
Part A – $300.00 payable at the time of the initial diagnostic practice test.
Part B – Individual test prep sessions are in addition and charged at the one-on-one, per-session rate of $65.00 per hour. These sessions, scheduled at a regular time each week with a carefully chosen and well-trained teacher, are billed on a monthly basis.